A poster for Mac lovers by us

A new talked about campaign/creative that you did? Tell us about it!

Moderators: kikikikikiki, diptanshu, Dalbir

Canis major

A poster for Mac lovers by us

Post by Canis major »

The apples signify attempts. Like Pixar and Jobs taking back control of Apple.
Priyanka

Re: A poster for Mac lovers by us

Post by Priyanka »

Pixar? Pixar took control of Apple?
Canis major

Post by Canis major »

The apple is PIxar. The apple is Apple. Jobs made both. The apple is the metaphor for trying. and the number denotes the futility yet determination of trying. Hungry - Foolish. I hoped I wouldn't have had explain. Posters explained like this aren't good. If questions arise. Anyway.
Canis major

Post by Canis major »

The poster is bad
Ek Kanya

Post by Ek Kanya »

Lots of people eating Apple showing their hunger? I agree with Canis. Its bad.
Canis major

Post by Canis major »

You missed the boat kanya.

An analysis of the poster failing can maybe convince me.
shantyarow

Post by shantyarow »

MA-ssa-C-red
Canis major

Post by Canis major »

shantyarow wrote:MA-ssa-C-red
I think an explanation might be mature. AT least it'll be constructive. More than the hyphenated colloquialism. You seem a little mature, but word belying.
shantyarow

Post by shantyarow »

Thank you for the quick lesson in maturity, Canis major.

I am in no hurry to prove either my juvenile delinquency, nor am I here to dish out constructive criticism, when I don't feel like it. I will put across my point, as I wish on a creative, the way the creative appealed to me.

At least, I believe there is a democracy out here without implying below-the-belt attitude issues. Like you don't wish for 'posters like this to be explained', I don't wish for 'posters like this to be explained with constructive criticism'. You may be 'major', but that doesn't mean I'm a 'minor'.

Anyway, let me not digress, since you asked why I felt it was a MA-ssa-C-re (hyphenated colloquialism, notwithstanding.)

For me, the genesis of the Apple Logo and its understand is implicit to the very essence of the Apple Logo. The 1976 Logo for Apple was archaic. Steve Jobs wanted the Logo to be 'less Newtonish', which is why they then moved to a Rainbow-colored Logo. At this point, the 'bite' in the apple was first introduced (post considerable internal debate at Apple). The 'bite' had a dual meaning. One, a rather roundabout reference to 'byte', which is what computers worked with. And the other was a more Biblical undertone, in which 'biting an apple' is akin to 'acquiring knowledge'. Then, there's this other story of how the Apple Logo has been designed using circles ascending in Fibonnaci's series. But that's another story.

Thus, for me, the precise place where the Apple Logo was (and is) bitten is sacrosanct. For me, showing 34 apples bitten in various other places is a 'Massacre' (ah, I see I've avoided the hyphenated colloquialism here). It's a force fit to Jobs' quote of 'Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish'.

I would rather have the same Apple Logo shown an infinite times to bring out the 'hunger' part of it. Sadly, for me, this poster smells more of being the last word of Steve Jobs' quote. Yes, spelling it out, so that I am clear. It's 'Foolish'.

I hope the explanation has sufficed, whether you like it or not, whether you agree with it or not.

Regards, the 'immature' ECD who's done just 15 years in this business so doesn't really know how to critique.
Canis major

Post by Canis major »

Quoting an article from CNN,
“Sadly, the evidence now points in a more prosaic direction. In a 2009 interview with CreativeBits, Rob Janoff, the man who drew the logo, reflected on the theories about his work. He dismisses Sir Isaac or the Bible as source material and, while he says he is charmed by the links with the Turing story, he says he was unaware of them at the time.”
It’s very literal, agreed, should have been more abstract. Foolishness in minimalism is I don’t know. Maybe you do no wait you do. Maybe it should be
Thus, for me, the precise place where the Apple Logo was (and is) bitten is sacrosanct. For me, showing 34 apples bitten in various other places is a 'Massacre' (ah, I see I've avoided the hyphenated colloquialism here). It's a force fit to Jobs' quote of 'Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish'.
Sadly, for me, this poster smells more of being the last word of Steve Jobs' quote. Yes, spelling it out, so that I am clear. It's 'Foolish'.
34 is a Fibonacci number

We were kinda trying to do that.

Shouldn’t it be foolish, futility and perfection? Honestly what is art, pure art in any form, a feeling? A feeling of tiredness, of futility, like apples eaten and not eaten. Eaten completely.

But most importantly, your explanation
“The 'bite' had a dual meaning. One, a rather roundabout reference to 'byte', which is what computers worked with. “

It was something I didn’t know and it makes sense. That should have tipped me off. A byte, is a storage unit, but a computer, computes. Any action on a computer is based on logical operation.

I hope the byte is wrong. Its so wrong.

Mac didn't invent the interface, XPARC did.

The Biblical garden was a perfect life, and evil was uncertainty, i.e. chaos. In a perfect life what we think, happens. In real life that doesn’t

The tree harbored uncertainty; itss partakers impure, uncertain; it gave us the will to be. Apple would ‘then’ symbolize uncertainty. But Apple brought us certainty, because computers are certain. Logic is finite. Yes, It took us to a new age, man is now hyper skilled,

The Turing story is the one I hope, because a man like Jobs could have feeling like Turing. Turing dies when he took a bite of a poisoned. The apple was the poison to the poison, The uncertainty to uncertainty, is pure certainty.
At least, I believe there is a democracy out here without implying below-the-belt attitude issues. Like you don't wish for 'posters like this to be explained', I don't wish for 'posters like this to be explained with constructive criticism'. You may be 'major', but that doesn't mean I'm a 'minor'.
Democracy is bounded uncertainty. You don't have to give ecriticism, but then the role of the forum is to communicate. A creative forum should be at the edge of the next generation of ideas, bordering metaphysical, social, psychological, biological economical, and political. Basically it's a forum to share, to stay at the edge. We should transcend as human being, being in the behavioural pattern.
Regards, the 'immature' ECD who's done just 15 years in this business so doesn't really know how to critique.
Maybe this red taping is harming advertising. Everyone should be given what they deserve. Age is just entropy its as much lost as gained and especially in a hyper world. Experience shouldn't always count over logic or judgement and ability.

You certainly seem piqued in an uneasy way and the long post kind of ‘the nascence accusation. But I may be wrong.

Anyway I admired the man. Criticism is always welcome.

But you can defend your own work so whatever any one thinks, entitled to. Was busy playing poker.
Canis major

Post by Canis major »

This is just my thinking and trying to make sense.
shantyarow

Post by shantyarow »

I may not agree with all that you say. But I am not disagreeable.

Piqued in an uneasy way? Yeah, fair dinkum mate. One criticizes a poster that didn't make sense to me, and one is called immature for that. You give as fair as you get, buddy.

Anyway, am not here in this forum to hear long-winded philosophical mutterings about assorted subjects like poker, red taping, entropy, metaphysics, the chaos theory, futility and perfection – not that any of these topics are unwelcome...it's just that I didn't care about the poster and I didn't like the creative, so there. Cop it and move on.

In a sort of funny way, one of your comments on the thread says "I hoped I wouldn't have had explain. Posters explained like this aren't good." And right below your attachment, a line stares and says, "The apples signify attempts. Like Pixar and Jobs taking back control of Apple." Well then, don't explain.

Pseudopodia. It's not just an amoeboid. It's also, sometimes, a podium for pseudos.

You have a good command of the language. I too admire the man with a mind like yours. Tad immature, perhaps. But then, you should know.
Canis major

Post by Canis major »

Anyway I'll take the criticism. Creative work is personal, and hence trying to defend your work, I feel, is a good thing. It shows a degree of passion. Cantor and the continuum theory was on my mind yesterday.

And I'm 26, so immaturity creeps in ever so often. But I exercise my mind.
shantyarow

Post by shantyarow »

All in good spirit, mate.

Like Voltaire quoted, "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

It's always a good quality to defend your work. But it is equally important to take criticism – however strident or unfair it may seem – with a sense of equanimity. Any person who has an opinion, should be respected, rather than reviled. But am old and atrophied – after all I entered advertising when you were a decade old – so shall cease and desist.

You burn with a bright mind and a passionate spark. Stay ignited, tarry on regardless.

From one lover of the written word and communication to another, peace and best wishes.
Canis major

Post by Canis major »

Its been 6 years since I read Voltaire. I need to get back in touch.
It's always a good quality to defend your work. But it is equally important to take criticism – however strident or unfair it may seem – with a sense of equanimity. Any person who has an opinion, should be respected, rather than reviled.
I totally agree. We should accepting.

Yes language is often a fancy.

I like this
And thank you but a star, that shines twice as bright, dies twice as fast. RIP 27.

Have good, will have Shanty. Hope the learning continues.