Nick Burcher's Video Mashup Review: The year in Social Media

Here you can discuss Digital creative, new websites, online campaigns and virals, technology etc
Paramvir
Site Admin

Nick Burcher's Video Mashup Review: The year in Social Media

Post by Paramvir »

By Nick Burcher at his blog here
2009 has truly been the year of social media / viral / content marketing. Across the board brands have been developing campaigns that don’t just shout messages at consumers, they engage them too. The development of social platforms like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter etc have allowed advertisers to create content that resonates, content that sticks, content that is shareable and most important content that becomes social currency.

It’s no longer just about pushing people to a Destination, it’s about joining the Conversation – giving people something to do, giving people something to share and giving people something to talk about. (For a more in depth discussion on how this all works see my post on ‘The Destination and The Conversation’ here.)

I have been presenting on social media all year and to support presentations I have been using self-made video mashups of various social campaigns. Hacked together using Microsoft Movie Maker, the following video contains a variety of clips that aim to bring to life some of, what I consider to be, the most noteworthy social campaigns of 2009.

Many of these have attracted attention by using viral seeding and blogger outreach to kickstart attention, but all of them have content that internet users have deemed worthy of sharing and watching again (and again!) All the clips are based around marketing (hence the omission of Kanye West, JK Wedding, Balloon Boy etc).

[youtube]gRAO1NrFY3k[/youtube]