Advertising a Youtube Channel and associated SubReddit Board

Make your general posts here. About just everything!

Moderators: kikikikikiki, diptanshu, Dalbir

veek

Advertising a Youtube Channel and associated SubReddit Board

Post by veek »

Hi,
I've started a small Youtube channel with just 1 video on a boring topic (Python Programming)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj93gH ... oGE5hRXd9g

The videos are licensed under a Creative Commons License - the idea being that more people will contribute and make changes and improve upon what's provided.

I also run a small subReddit dealing in hobbies in the context of India
https://www.reddit.com/r/indianripoff/
It needs a lot more contributors.

I've also started a small ToolRoom with 0 users currently and very few tools
https://goo.gl/maps/nCCaKTqZCDT8mjBH8

I was wondering from an advertising perspective - how do I start to improve things: I can't possibly do all the work and purchasing stuff for the ToolRoom is quite an involved process involving specialized knowledge. What's the best way to get people involved in actually doing stuff? (in the context of COVID)
Saumya

Re: Advertising a Youtube Channel and associated SubReddit Board

Post by Saumya »

Hello Veek. While I check that out, do use this link to embed your YouTube Video.
Kikikikikiki bleach-treated my avatar! Isn't she sweet?
Saumya

Post by Saumya »

And what kind of stuff do you want done?
Are you looking at people doing more of DIY stuff? Please elaborate?
veek

Post by veek »

Hi,
(don't want anything done per-se.. I know a bit of GIMP(linux photoshop thingy) so I can knock-off a flyer and such)

My initial plan was to distribute flyers and get students in a CS program or in school to watch the videos, post Questions online on Reddit, and then attend Q&A session at home (basically my garage).

The idea was to use a TV/computer to teach for free and provide all the tools in the garage. Kind of like a at break-even-forever hobby center (tools are pretty expensive here and material too so I was hoping that enough people would split the cost and do something useful).

It would work something like this:
1. I buy a tool.
2. If you use it, split the price.
3. If lots of people use it, the price drops to a fraction.
4. No one (including me) can take anything away from the ToolRoom permanently. (as in, ownership is the community not the individual)

Also, figuring out things in an Indian context - like what Indian companies sell what stuff and such. Initially we'd just replicate a lot of the stuff on Youtube.. and once you get enough people, things become much easier (like bugging the govt for Grass seeds - much more effective when you have 10 people hounding them - Regional Fodder Station Hesarghatta)

COVID's pretty much knocked all that for a loop! I can't reach anyone except online.. and online is.. well.. where are all the Indians? I can't find that many Indian Boards/Forums - you guys being the exception. Hence the Question.. how do you reach Indians in a COVID environment??? Reddit has a few heavily controlled boards (r/indiaspeaks, r/india are pretty political and boring/not-practical)

So again, where ARE all the Indians gone off to .. online.. where do they hang out.. (I don't have Facebook but my sister did and again.. I tried to send garden seeds and such but mostly everyone was posting pics of their garden which is kind of boring). Most of the Facebook groups were just pics of flowering plants and likes and such..
veek

Post by veek »

I don't want to rely on the whole Youtube 'Like' thingy so I thought National Digital Library would be a suitable place to host videos: no luck - they basically just did not reply at all. (I know how to get them to reply but that's not the point - it means, that's one more white-elephant project)

Ultimately I need some kind of feedback for stuff/lessons and Youtube's international so.. I was hoping for a practical approach, except COVID's making people/Indians more isolated.. no ones travellng, shopping - there's me, my family and .
And online?
veek

Post by veek »

The usual process is to start small and get something productive out and then the people physically closest to you tell their friends (in college) except none of that is happening anymore.. I know of only the following Indian places online:
Reddit r/bangalore (etc) r/Indiaspeaks r/india
techenclave, broadbandforum.co, Freenode's #india indianaquariumhobbyist.com/ rcindia.org/

With a population of 1 billion people and quite a few colleges churning out educated Indians.. how do I find them online?
Saumya

Post by Saumya »

Its a good initiative, but you need to get the DIY guys involved from your neighbourhood, since what you are doing is hardware intensive. I think your tool room is in Bangalore, right?
encyclomedia
Site Admin

Post by encyclomedia »

I have worked on plans to promote something which is offline, From my experience you have to do a lot of offline activity. Take lots of photos. Put them all over social media. Tag relevant people (NOT those who may be disinterested). In a slow way you will raise an audience, After a critical size (I am sure there is a term for it), the community is expected to grow exponentially.
I am not the admin anymore.
veek

Post by veek »

@saumya yes - it's in Bangalore but what I am looking for is feedback on online videos/lessons. Due to COVID there's no way to get in touch since colleges are closed.