Freelancing Dos and Don'ts

Ok Guys! Heres it! One of the most under the carpet areas, but one that funds most of our car EMIs. Advertising Freelance. Post Jobs and debates. Get work and buy another Car!

Moderators: kikikikikiki, diptanshu, Dalbir

Ek Kanya

Freelancing Dos and Don'ts

Post by Ek Kanya »

All of us graphic designers, writers, photographers etc have had clients who have been terrible or moderate or nice. And all of us have burnt our fingers with clients who have been terrible at some point of time.

I am trying to compile a knowledge-base kind of thread here in dealing with freelance clients.

It all normally goes like this:

- Client calls and asks for a meeting to discuss a job.
This you must go for...

- Client wants a whole Universe of work. How much should you charge?
Well, based on your experience and talent, and cost of living etc you would have figured out how much time it takes for you to finish the client's job. What's the cost of living for that duration, plus your savings goal (Yes, Savings Goal, you must have one). So I normally decide if I am going to charge a client X, I add Y% (Typically around 30%) for my savings goal. So my fees would be X+(20% of X)

- Obviously, like all clients, this one too doesn't have the money (even though he has paid 100s of thousands for that horrid office decor'.
- Obviously. Many years ago, one desi client had told me, in a slight moment of weakness, that 'creative jobs' don't have a tangible value, and
"creatives' do it for passion anyway", so any value is good. He went on to say "I quote 1/3rd of anything the creatives quote".
So I have learnt to increase my quote by 100%, because the client would want to bring it down by roughly half anyway.
And I strictly mention the deliverables on email along with the agreed sum. Its very important to document this. Also the number of changes etc. (When you have an old client and you know he/she is honest etc, I am willing to work on more iterations, just for the relationship).

- After the sum is agreed upon I insist on at least 50% advance.
This ensures that the client's intentions are locked into the brief. And that he/she isn't wasting my time. Often clients would ask for logo designs (or copywriting) and after many options would change their business plans or company name. This can be frustrating. You need to get paid for that.

- You make the designs/copy and go through presentations where the client and his/her pet also has an opinion.
You can't avoid this. If you are lucky to have a sensible client, he/she will listen to your expertise and give it weightage.

- Job delivered. Balance Payments?
If it's a new client, you can ask for balance payments on delivery. Most likely it is not going to happen. There will always be an accountant on leave, or the signatory travelling etc. You will just have to learn to deal with chasing them a bit.

- Its been 2 years and I still haven't received my balance payment.
I reallty haven't figured ouit how to deal with this. I am glad though that I insist on 50% advances, at least some money came in. This is one area I am still struggling with.
Ek Kanya

Re: Freelancing Dos and Don'ts

Post by Ek Kanya »

I have also learnt that if you get a good client, walk the extra mile for them. They are very rare. And ASK them to introduce you to other clients. Good clients will be happy to d so and will somehow lead you to other good clients. This has hardly ever failed me.

The other thing is, as a freelancer you must have some slight visibility. When you win an award make sure you tom-tom it on your social media, mention that to all your clients etc. This public visibility helps you (a) get newer clients (b) fetch higher prices for your work (c) slightly fewer chances of a client not paying.