YES
75%
NO
25%

Total votes: 24

Paramvir
Site Admin

Post by Paramvir »

yes Radhika, I tool have once interned with Equus. Swapan is perhaps one of the best writers India has produced...
Sonya

Post by Sonya »

i feel sorry for swapan. i think he was much ahead of his time. he was like a little bill burnback when he was always with a tie and his cool plastic eyewear. he is also one of those great guys who produced realwork and really great work for almost every single campaign he produced. somehow i think he is lost it when he moved to delhi. also i think he should win some international awards to get some credibilty in india and abroad, i guess this is how people's creativity is measured these days.
Sonya

Post by Sonya »

oh yes, when martin sorell made his big visit in india few years back he was hanging out with swapan and his brother in old delhi and not with mike khanna.
vikram sharma

Post by vikram sharma »

Has anyone won a gold from kolkata? While working there, i mean, not after
Paramvir
Site Admin

Post by Paramvir »

Deep, anybody you know entered this years awards deadline? I think the scene has been a bit low key this year, and we may perhaps hope of seeing something better end '07
Ek Kanya

Post by Ek Kanya »

Is there an advertising scene in calcutta at all? Do you guyus freelance for making 'bandh' posters?
vimal

Post by vimal »

Ek Kanya, U don't seem to be from 'somewhere in India' but from somewhere in Africa or Antarctica. Ur comment about Cal advertising is as frivolous as ur identity. FYI, a lot of creative work appens in Cal and a lot of creative people come from Cal. I'd suggest U check out works by Dip, Arjun and other feloows from Cal in this site and it'll give U pretty much an idea about the kinda work Cal is doing. Things were not all that good sometimes back but they are looking up. Three cheers to the undying city. :twisted:
Ek Kanya

Post by Ek Kanya »

firstly you have no right to demean africa, vimal.

secondly, tell me what brands of national importance are there in calcutta now? I believe even Wills Sports is being handled from Bangalore.

In that sense even Jamshedpur has a vibrant advertising scene.
vimal

Post by vimal »

Talking of rights, Ek Kanya, U have, to begin with absolutely no right to demean Cal. It's heart wrenching to see that ur heart bleeds for Africa but shudn't U have a lil more respect for people and places a lot more closer to U? :twisted:
And about the brands being handled from Cal, yeah I already said that the things had got pretty bad but the good news is that it's looking up again. Ya, Cal doesnt handle much national brands to boast of other than some ITC work and then some other brands but its getting better. And mind U, a lot of good work is happening in Cal of late, evidence of which U can see in this site only. But then U seem to be pretty uninformed, which, coupled with ur 'Cal being as good as Jamshedpur ad scene' comment, goes to prove that ignorance is really a bliss in ur case.
Ek Kanya

Post by Ek Kanya »

you still havent mentioned the brands.
AnuragRSCG

Post by AnuragRSCG »

Hey there, it seems there's another tussle in the reckonin, so let me contribute my bit.
As for Africa (South Africa, the country), there have been some pretty decent outflow of creativity from the place and I guess Africa has finally arrived in the Ad world.
But the same holds true for Kolkata as well. Though Kolkata has always been below par when compared tp Mumbai (& New Delhi), the growth is takingplace and cannot be denied. Infact, if you consider the rate at which advertising is changing (read: growing) in Kolkata, you would feel happy for the once heralded advertising capital of India.
several brands national & international as well) have their creative duties assigned to Cal agencies. Calling up agencies in Kolkata would do better in enriching once knowleddge for brands here.

So to chip in for the winning hole, three cheers to Kol & Africa!
Anurag,
copywriter.
diptanshu

Post by diptanshu »

ofcourse you cannot compare the market size of bombay with kolkata. bombay has a lot of big brands and kolkata has a few thats for sure. (goldflake, india kings, classic and all ITC cigarette brands. Eveready batteries and torches, Tata steel, Lafarge cement, greenply etc are handled from kolkata. i am sure i have missed out a few) But, we have handled delhi, bombay and bangalore clients sitting in kolkata. For instance we have worked on nokia, starTV, world of titan, Xylus etc.
Ek Kanya

Post by Ek Kanya »

if you guys ar so good, how come there arent any wining entries from kolkata i all the major international awards...
vimal

Post by vimal »

Hmmm. God nows why are we all giving so much of our time to Ms. Ek Kanya: Somewhere In India(who's identity, by the way, sounds like a K.C. Bokadia or a NabhKumar Raju film, complete wid the the a decriptor thrown in :twisted: ) but we are. So while we are at it, lemme add some more names to the Cal client list, so yeah, U got Rupa, Lux, CenturyPly, berger paints, jenson and nicholson, bata, shalimar, tiscon, tat corp, sreeleathers, dollar, khadims, sreeleathers, big ones, kwality nand boroline to name a few.
And ya, the award scene is not so happening in Cal, primary reason for which, we al agree is that Cal ad scene is not as happening and money spinning as delhi or Bombay scene. And a lot of award decisions are taken from agency HQ, which mostly is way to keen on sending its on work for awards only. If only HQs start pushing al work as much as elhi or Bombay work for award, I am sure there's gonna be alotta award that Cal will win.

Man, I dont believe we are doing this, trying to spoonfeed an ignorant, stubborn girlkid. But so much for Cal!!
diptanshu

Post by diptanshu »

good work often dont get released. and ofcourse we cant afford to get scam released because of lack of budgets. :lol: this is one of the reasons.