Copy Test

Say your hellos here!

Moderators: kikikikikiki, diptanshu, Dalbir

imscoused

Copy Test

Post by imscoused »

Hello everyone. I don't know if this is the right place to be posting this since it is my first time. I am an engineering graduate who wishes to move to advertising as a copywriter. I don't want to be my own judge but I think I'm half decent when it comes to "being creative". What I wanted to know is that do advertising agencies come out with copy tests to recruit young creatives? You know, present a medium for outsiders, for lack of a better word, to showcase themselves? Or are there other ways to make an entry?

Thanks and go easy on me.
imscoused

Re: Copy Test

Post by imscoused »

:?:
Hasmukh

Post by Hasmukh »

Hi! Some agencies do have copy tests and some hire based on your portfolio.
Its best to prepare a portfolio.

See some print ads from newspapers and magazines, and rewrite them.
Write a long copy ad about some imaginary product of your choice. You may get in touch with some graphic designer friends to lay out the ad for you.
Write a couple of TV scripts for popular brands (perhaps one for a car, one for a detergent brand etc).
You may also want to write a radio script or two.

Try to focus on two things:

1) Great idea. Your portfolio should have one great and extendable idea in the work.
2) Good and engaging writing: Your print and TV work should be engaging.

There, you are set. I would advise you to focus on an agency or two, and try to create cads in the similar categories they work in. And never tell them that their work sucks and that you can do better :)
mere...paise zara badhayenge...Boss??
MissMallu

Post by MissMallu »

If you can create a couple of print ads with decent ideas, getting into an agency shold not be a problem at all. Just have patience and don't expect to work on natuonal brand campaigns from day one.
JCSaiKrishna

Post by JCSaiKrishna »

Yeah getting a portfolio is very good way of demonstrating your competencies. I suggest you the below as well:

a) Read books such as "Cutting Edge Advertising", "Hey Whipple, Squeeze this!", "The copywriting" - for copywriting. And Scientific Advertising, Ogilvy On Advertising, Positioning, The Advertised Mind - for advertising & Marketing.

link for Scientific Advertising book:
http://www.slideshare.net/Saikrishnalit ... g-24390072

b) Be active forums like DC, Afaqs and Campaign India.

c) Do networking in all the possible way, (try to create ways to meet people in industry)

- in case you need e-copies of some of the books I mentioned above, lemme know at saikrishnality@gmail.com

imscoused wrote:Hello everyone. I don't know if this is the right place to be posting this since it is my first time. I am an engineering graduate who wishes to move to advertising as a copywriter. I don't want to be my own judge but I think I'm half decent when it comes to "being creative". What I wanted to know is that do advertising agencies come out with copy tests to recruit young creatives? You know, present a medium for outsiders, for lack of a better word, to showcase themselves? Or are there other ways to make an entry?

Thanks and go easy on me.
Sai Krishna Y,
Hyderabad,
www.windowsquare.com

saikrishna@windowsquare.com
Excited to live!
Ek Kanya

Post by Ek Kanya »

great advice. but prepares like preparedness.
vikram sharma

Post by vikram sharma »

Guy's a missing.
Fight the recession! Spend more money! Increase our Wages!
Canis major

Post by Canis major »

Why don't you try the Leo Burnett site. They have a copy test which people can attempt and send across. Thankfully they're one of the few agencies who still give chances to people who don't have an advertising background but have a flair for ideas. I studied advertising and trust me the people who do are no great shakes. God I wish there were more agencies like Burnett.

Or start preparing for Portfolio Night which will be soon next year. Best of luck
Canis major

Post by Canis major »

You can try Adept media also. Search for them on internet. Based in Delhi though.